Portugal enters its eighth day of being ravaged by wildfires in the south of the country popular with tourists, the Algarve.
So far the blaze has resulted in more than 40 injuries – one serious – but there have been no deaths. No tourists have been hurt.
The fire has scorched 23,500 hectares, according to the European Forest Fire Information System.
Temperatures have fallen in the region but strong winds could serve to reignite the fire.
We can confidently say that there is no cause for concern for those who choose the Algarve as a holiday destination
The Algarve Regional Tourism Authority has released a statement to persuade visitors that the region is still safe for tourists.
“We can confidently say that there is no cause for concern for those who choose the Algarve as a holiday destination,” they said.
They add that no tourists have been put at risk and that the situation is “much calmer.”
“The fire affects a limited area in the interior of the Algarve and the approximately 500 tourists moved from the hotels in Monchique have not been at risk, and were able to continue their holiday in accommodation near the Algarve coast,” the Algarve Regional Tourism Authority said.
“The hotel establishments have been in permanent contact with the civil protection authorities and with Algarve Regional Tourism Authority, and are monitoring the development of the situation, so as to guarantee the peace and safety of their guests.
“The Algarve remains completely safe for our visitors, the area affected by the fire is far from the coast and is inaccessible to residents and tourists while Civil Protection works are taking place.”
Portugal fires: Holiday destination STILL burning despite dropping temperatures – is it safe?
The current UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advice is to avoid travelling to any areas where the fire is burning.
“A major forest fire, which started a number of days ago in the area of Monchique, in the Algarve, has spread to neighbouring municipalities,” the FCO’s website states.
“The Portuguese authorities have been evacuating the affected areas. Strong winds in the area make the spread of fire unpredictable.”
A video has emerged from the Algarve of “apocalyptic” dark clouds of smoke from the wildfires hanging over a beach, blocking out direct sunlight.
The Algarve Regional Tourism Authority said of the incident: “The cloud of smoke produced by the fire that was visible yesterday from the beaches due to the wind has already dispersed, was not dangerous and is not something we expect to see repeated.”
Portugal fires: The fire has scorched 23,500 hectares, according to official figures
Portugal fires: Over 1,400 firefighters have been tackling the fire in the Algarve
Faro Airport, also known as Algarve Airport, remains open with flights fully operational.
Tourists heading to the area should check the local travel warning and ensure the region they are travelling to has not been affected.
Travellers should contact Civil Protection Authorities or Portuguese Police in an emergency.
The wildfires in Portugal started last Friday in Monchique, Faro District, and has since spread to neighbouring Silves and Portimão.
Over 1,400 firefighters have been tackling the fire, and soldiers have also been brought in to fight the fire.